About Us | Help Videos | Contact Us | Subscriptions
 

Abstract

 

This article in CS

  1. Vol. 51 No. 5, p. 2095-2103
     

    * Corresponding author(s): shiwak@affrc.go.jp
 View
 Download
 Alerts
 Permissions
 Share

doi:10.2135/cropsci2011.03.0166

Classification of Genotypes of the Target Leaf Spot-Resistant Gene (ds1) in a Sorghum Collection

  1. Hiroyuki Kawahigashia,
  2. Shigemitsu Kasuga *b,
  3. Hisato Okuizumia,
  4. Hiroyuki Kanamoric,
  5. Tsuyu Andoc and
  6. Takashi Matsumotoa
  1. a H. Kawahigashi, H. Okuizumi, and T. Matsumoto, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Tsukuba 305-8602, Japan
    b S. Kasuga, Faculty of Agriculture, Shinshu Univ., 8304, Minamiminowa, Nagano, 399-4598, Japan
    c H. Kanamori and T. Ando, Institute of the Society for Techno-innovation of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, 446-1 Ippaizuka, Kamiyokoba, Tsukuba, 305-0854, Japan

Abstract

Sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench] is the fifth most important cereal grown worldwide and is especially important in the semiarid tropics because of its tolerance of hot and dry environments. In addition, it has recently been used in biomass production due to its rapid summer growth in temperate zones. One sorghum disease called target leaf spot is caused by the necrotrophic fungus Bipolaris sorghicola (Lefebvre & Sherwin) Alcorn. Resistance to target leaf spot is controlled by a recently identified single recessive resistant gene (ds1). We studied the susceptibility of sorghum to target leaf spot and the polymorphism of ds1 and the geographic distribution of its alleles using selected specimens from a sorghum core collection. Among 86 lines in the National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences (NIAS) Genebank, 34 (39.6%) were susceptible to target leaf spot, each characterized by one of three alleles (S1, S2, and S3 types). The remaining 52 (60.4%) were resistant, with each characterized by one of four alleles (R1, R2, R3, and R4 types). Two new alleles of ds1, namely, the S3 type and the R4 type, were found in this study. The new alleles of ds1 both encoded mature protein. Both lines had an insertion in a promoter region, with one susceptible to target leaf spot and the other resistant, according to the assumption that the insertion altered transcriptional activity. Geographically, both susceptible and resistant alleles were found in African and South Asian lines. Only resistant alleles were found in the lines from East Asia, suggesting either a bottleneck effect or strong selective pressure by target leaf spot in East Asia. With these DNA markers, the susceptibility of sorghum to target leaf spot can be easily classified.

  Please view the pdf by using the Full Text (PDF) link under 'View' to the left.

Copyright © 2011. Copyright © by the Crop Science Society of America, Inc.