About Us | Help Videos | Contact Us | Subscriptions
 

Abstract

 

This article in JEQ

  1. Vol. 7 No. 2, p. 193-196
     
    Received: July 13, 1977


 View
 Download
 Alerts
 Permissions
Request Permissions
 Share

doi:10.2134/jeq1978.00472425000700020008x

Elimination of Fecal Coliform Bacteria from Soil Irrigated with Municipal Sewage Lagoon Effluent1

  1. R. G. Bell and
  2. J. B. Bole2

Abstract

Abstract

Unchlorinated sewage lagoon effluent was applied to a stand of reed canarygrass (Phalaris arundinacea L.) each week at a rate equal to the weekly difference between evapotranspiration and precipitation of the preceding week, about 4.5 cm. Most of the fecal coliforms applied in the effluent were retained in the surface 8 cm of the Brown Cavendish loamy sand. During two growth periods preceding first and second harvests, when effluent was applied at weekly intervals, no bulldup of coliforms occurred in the surface soil nor did they penetrate the profile below 69 cm. Die-off of the fecal coliforms occurred in two phases: an initial rapid phase in which 90% of the bacteria died within 48 hours of irrigation and a subsequent slower decline over about 2 weeks as the remaining 10% were eliminated. The results are interpreted as indicating that the soil no longer constitutes a serious public health hazard for enteric diseases of bacterial etiology 2 weeks after irrigation with sewage lagoon effluent.

  Please view the pdf by using the Full Text (PDF) link under 'View' to the left.

Copyright © .