About Us | Help Videos | Contact Us | Subscriptions
 

Members of ASA, CSSA, and SSSA: Due to system upgrades, your subscriptions in the digital library will be unavailable from May 15th to May 22nd. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for your patience. If you have any questions, please call our membership department at 608-273-8080.

 

Institutional Subscribers: Institutional subscription access will not be interrupted for existing subscribers who have access via IP authentication, though new subscriptions or changes will not be available during the upgrade period. For questions, please email us at: queries@dl.sciencesocieties.org or call Danielle Lynch: 608-268-4976.

Abstract

 

This article in SSSAJ

  1. Vol. 39 No. 4, p. 800-802
     
    Received: Sept 30, 1974
    Accepted: Apr 1, 1975


 View
 Download
 Alerts
 Permissions
Request Permissions
 Share

doi:10.2136/sssaj1975.03615995003900040051x

Testing the Accuracy of Field Textures1

  1. J. E. Foss,
  2. W. R. Wright and
  3. R. H. Coles2

Abstract

Abstract

Soil texture influences a wide variety of pedological, physical, chemical, and biological processes; thus, this property is a natural criterion to use in a soil classification scheme. Although laboratory analyses provide data on soil textures, most of the determinations occur in the field. Accuracy of field textures is therefore an important part of separating soils on the landscape and predicting their suitability for various uses. The accuracy of 598 field textures from Maryland was 50%; that is, in 50% of the cases, the field-textural class was in agreement with the USDA textural classification as determined by laboratory results. The highest accuracy was found with the sand, clay, sandy loam, and silt loam classes, with the agreement being 74, 73, 68, and 63%, respectively. When allowing an arbitrary 4% deviation around the textural class, the overall agreement increased to 67%. Errant field textures were generally associated with high contents of coarse fragments, free iron, organic matter, and very fine or coarse sands.

  Please view the pdf by using the Full Text (PDF) link under 'View' to the left.

Copyright © . Soil Science Society of America